Monday, January 18, 2010

Good-bye, Mom

It's been two years since Mom died. Her last 24 hours said a lot about her life. She was taken to a beautiful home for hospice care ---The Cedars. Jane, Jim and I had visited many nursing homes and decided that this was one close to my home that I would feel comfortable visiting regularly.
It had a lovely area outside each room for socializing or relaxing. Although Mother knew she was going to a nursing home, this was not the one she had chosen. We think she came through the halls, saw the luxury and thought, "I can't afford this. I've got to go."
Her room was a little stark, but clean, well-lit and a single room which we thought was important. Mother no sooner got there than she looked up and said, "Where's my walker?" We'd left it at the hospital, and she wanted what she'd paid for.
She had her Kleenex box with all of her necessities. Her children were all with her---we felt like we had made a good choice taking her to the Cedars. We discussed what we were going to do the next day----get her house ready to put on the market which she had wanted us to do. We had her favorite charity Emmaus House coming out to help us clean out.
We kissed her good-bye and told her we'd be back after dinner, but when we returned she was sound asleep. Although she was asleep, we told her we'd be back the next afternoon after we worked out at the lake on Saturday. She died Saturday morning before we went to the lake, less than 24 hours after she had left the hospital.

We think she died happy that we were all three working together on a project, enjoying each others company. . .and that room was too expensive!

2 comments:

hear.t. and hue said...

funny ... but i really have a hard time remember that we didn't lose her on christmas, but a few weeks later. i guess it's just because christmas eve / christmas is when life as we knew it with our gigi had ended. the spunky, take care & fend for herself gigi. :( miss her so much. SOOOOO MUCH. xo

Jane said...

The picture of all of us on the love seat in her room, was her last of seeing us together. Her three "J's looking happy, acting silly. That was enough for her. Tears roll down my face as I see this one. It was the last time we really saw her two.
Love you mom. Thanks for always being there for us.

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.