Monday, January 11, 2010

2010 Resolutions


One resolution going back to 2008, I intend to keep again:

-Buy locally or as close to home as possible. In 2008, this was to help the environment---cut down on transportation costs. In 2009, it was to help our local economy. In 2010 it's all of those and because locally-grown food is just healthier and fresher. Leah and I joined Fair Shares which helped a lot with this and expanded the foods we eat (the photo above is one week's food). When was the last time you had lamb sausage, goat cheese, kale, collards, jerusalem artichokes? I don't think I'd eaten any of those, but really enjoyed the variety in our diet.
-Go on a "date" at least once every two weeks with Dave. We are retired, but often get in a rut. Although we have various church activities during the week and go to Wellbridge, our health club, we need to make going to a movie, the theater, a museum, or a day-trip more of a priority. The first week in January, we went to see Avatar, so we're off to a good start. By the way, it is a wonderful film which really needs to be seen in 3-D.-Get together with cousins---meet some of them for the first time. My genealogy interest has introduced me to all sorts of cousins from England to California, from Michigan to Texas that I've never met, but I want to see more of my first cousins, too. Last summer, Dave and I met with Kay Buxton and Dave Werner---old friends AND a cousin. Below is Rick Gannon who is helping me with some research at the High Ridge Library. (His great grandfather Jeptha and my great grandfather Thomas were brothers---Click here for more information about them)
-Get together with "old friends". These are defined as people we knew before we moved back to St. Louis in 1978. Below is Glenda whom I haven't seen in almost 40 years---we found each other on Facebook and I had so much fun meeting her for lunch. I wish her all of the best as she heads back to Colorado Springs.

-Write on the calendar each month various areas of the our house and garden that need my concentrated attention. For example: January is magazines, catalogues, first floor floor files.

-Learn how to restore photos with Photoshop. I have several that I'd love to improve the quality on. Above is Theodore Graham (brother of my g-g-g grandmother) and below is my g-g grandfather William Reed [Farncombe].
So far, I'm doing great---but, I have to write everything on the calendar before I forget. . .

1 comment:

Leah Morgan Korbel said...

I can't believe we're related only by marriage. That "write areas that need doing, on the calendar" thing is SO right up my alley! I just ran across my "to do" list from 6t grade and one was "organize my books like they are in a library".

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.