Sunday, January 3, 2010

New Year's Food

We started off the day with my "2010" breakfast! (bacon, blueberry pancakes and sausage)

The black-eyed peas, ham and cornbread are Southern traditions. Kim Delaney posted on Facebook that the "black-eyed peas represent pennies, the cornbread represents gold and the greens represent dollars." We didn't have collard greens but we did have a spinach salad to represent the greens.

This is actually a "poor meal" because some believe that if you eat a "poor meal" on New Year's Day the rest of the year will be rich!

According to Snopes.com, pork is important because pig's eat by rooting forward (chickens scratch backwards and cows eat standing still) and that will move you forward toward your goals.
The above meal was actually our New Year's Eve dinner. Empress Chicken from Hunan and Peking Restaurant with green tea and fortune cookie. The fortune wasn't that terrific---I was hoping for something like, "You need to be in a warmer climate," or "Your investments will double" or "You will have a prosperous and healthy new year."

So, I'll send those wishes out to you---May you have a prosperous and healthy new year in a warmer climate!

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.