Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Aruba and Colombia

We decided to stay on board the ship while we were in Aruba--it was like having our own private yacht.
I'm swimming and Dave's relaxing by the side of the pool.
The port was beautiful and if I'd known we were going to miss two "ashores", we would have seen more of Aruba
The next day, we were in Cartegena, Colombia---the fortress below withstood many attacks. If you look carefully you'll see red coral built into the walls. There was also a police presence everywhere we went.
It was a beautiful colonial city, but the rain in the streets reminded us that this was the rainy season and they have no storm sewers.
We watched folk dancers in the Naval Museum. . .
Went shopping. . .
(I didn't buy anything---we were told not to take credit cards or much cash---couldn't afford what I liked---only had $10 on us)
The Colonial streets were beautiful---some took horse and carriage rides, but it was very hot and humid.
Our air conditioned bus couldn't navigate the narrow streets, but he did pause for us to take photos out the window.
It was an Independence Holiday with decorated boats throughout the harbor.
Some were very colorful! Many came by the cruise ship waving and blasting music!
Cartegena, by the way, is the probable location of Love in the Time of Cholera---not one of my favorite books, but the setting was beautifully described.) It is also a UNESCO World Heritage site (our second one this Fall---Cahokia Mounds near St. Louis is another one.)

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.