Saturday, November 28, 2009

Ocho Rios, Jamaica and Ship's Log

Clearly the Dunn's River Falls are the Jewels in Jamaica's crown---they were a part of almost every excursion to Jamaica.

Although we didn't climb them as many did, we could still appreciate their beauty.

These are from the viewing platform half-way down.
Our next stop was "shopping", but we stayed on the bus. Again, I'd only brought $10, but the coffee I'd intended to buy as souvenirs was $13-20 per pound. . .
Our third stop was to a botanical garden which was pretty hazardous walking with stepping stones, slippery walkways, steps with no handrails---it was not Shaw's Garden!
We saw several "fire eaters"---hate to think what that does to their sinuses.
Every now and then, the family historian kicked in----I wanted to check when my ancestor was stationed in the West Indies---I think he preceded this cannon, but I took the photo to check out the date and place.
I still giggle every time I see this photo---beauty is so cultural!
We got back to the ship but missed lunch in the dining room.
We'd decided early on to avoid the buffet for a variety of reasons. Although we ate in the dining room for almost every meal, we ordered room service which was certainly better than the buffet.
From the Ship's Log:

We were lucky the weather was in the high 70's and low 80's the whole time with cloudy skies. The few times the sun came out showed us the beauty of cloudy skies so close to the equator. That font and all caps makes this difficult to read, but. . .
The resolution on this map is really dreadful---I think they need a graphic designer on board to print these up. But, at least you get an idea of the cruise. I am hoping for a "do-over" so we can see some of the ports that we missed, but we thoroughly enjoyed what we did see and highly recommend the cruise.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.