Monday, November 23, 2009

Island Princess Nov. 9-12

We flew into Ft. Lauderdale a day early and stayed at this Ramada Inn which had cheap rooms with free airport pick up and ship port drop off. It looked 1950's Florida but was not bad inside.

We boarded the Island Princess around 12:30 PM on Nov. 10, and were in our room an hour after we left the Ramada Inn.
We had our private "Sail Away" Party---that's the last bit of land in Ft. Lauderdale.
The next day, was spent "At Sea" cruising along the coast of Cuba.
That's Cuba off in the distance. Princess is in negotiations to take their first cruise ship to Cuba in 2011. We had a number of people who were originally from Cuba on the ship. They were very happy to hear that rumor.
On November 11, the Canadians out-shined us with their poppies to honor veterans.
November 12 was still "At Sea", but also my birthday!
We didn't really plan the vacation FOR my birthday, but it worked out that way.
Olena (Ukraine) was very generous with our desserts each night. In addition to the above, we had key lime pie and creme brulee.
Here she is pretending not to hear our protests.
We attended several shows on board but this was the best one!
The best show was the Adrian Zmed Show---wonderful. The staging was very interesting with them three sets going up and down on bellows---the seating was at tables, but the balcony had very few good seats. He was a TV star in the 1980's and was amazingly buff for 55 (we saw him as he was transferring from our ship to the Coral Princess). He was the ORIGINAL Danny Zucko on Broadway's Grease. Click here for more on his television career.

1 comment:

Sara said...

What a great trip! I'm so glad you had fun even though you were so sick.

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.