Thursday, November 26, 2009

Gatun Lake through Panama Canal

The ships in Gatun Lake are waiting their turn to go back through the Panama Canal (I call it "treading water")

We are entering the Gatun Locks.


A new, larger cut is being made on the other side of the checkerboard towers.

Our Onboard Authority, Tom Ryan, said that the "mules" won't be needed to guide the ships through---new more powerful tug boats will be used.I felt like I was looking at a giant Thomas the Train when I saw the mules on the turntable.

Not all of the ships going through were cruise ships---some looked like rust buckets.


The people above were probably on one of the excursions---they reported back that it was very interesting watching from their perspective also.
When we went to lunch, we were seated by a window and could see the canal walls from a new angle.
Like an Alaskan Cruise, everyone should try to take a Panama Canal Cruise---the only way to see both of them is aboard a cruise ship.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.