Friday, November 27, 2009

Formal Night---IV

As indicated in a previous post, I got a sinus infection on our cruise. I went to the Medical Center within 24 hours of my first indicator (sore teeth). We missed our excursions to Panama and Costa Rica, but I was better on the ship than being miserable on boats. I was very impressed with the medical center and was stunned by the bills. I am hoping my insurance company will ask that I go on a cruise at the first indication of a sinus infection. These fees are BEFORE the insurance company pays.
The Island Princess certainly was not trying to gouge us. The medical staff and drugs were all British. But, after 48 hours, I was in the Dr. Nadine's words "Worse." My face had begun to swell, so I returned to the Medical Center where they put me on an IV.
Yes, it was unfortunate that I got sick on board, but what better place than on a cruise ship with a medical center right there.That didn't stop me from getting all dressed up before heading down for my final IV which was right before dinner.
We were very fortunate to have such compatible dinner partners each night. Above are Heather (Poconos in Pennsylvania) and her mother Esther (Florida). Below are Fay and Gus from Virginia who have a granddaughter in her 20's!
Barb and Gil [or "Gill" as I liked to think of him] from Staten Island added a zest to our table, we missed when they weren't there. Gil was like being on cruise with Dave's brother Tom.
Although not at our table (they were behind Barb and Gil), Bob and Carol were our first "friends" whom we met at the Ramada Inn outside in the courtyard where we were entertained by the stray cats. They were from Greensburg, PA which was our county-seat when we lived in the Pittsburgh area.All in all, the other passengers were friendly, up-beat despite this being the most "senior" cruise we have ever taken---the average age was around 70. We saw 6 children and about 6 adults under the age of 30. . . Another interesting observation was that almost everyone had already been on an Alaskan cruise and many had been through the Panama Canal on a previous cruise.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.