Friday, December 5, 2008

Train Display at Union Station, Kansas City


The day after Thanksgiving, we went to Union Station in Kansas City to see the train display. We figured everyone would be shopping and no one would be there---it really wasn't very crowded.

I especially liked spotting the Missouri-Pacific trains---that's the railroad where my dad, my Aunt Mary, my grandfather Roy Long and my great-grandfather Henry Maupin all worked.

Of course it was also fun to see the kids of all ages enjoying the display.

There was also quite a bit of humor in the displays. Below is "Heartbreak Hotel" with Elvis in front. Double click to make the photo larger.

The display below had Superman flying up, up and away over a phone booth among other funny businesses. Again, double click to see them all---look at some of the patrons at John Lemon's Used Cars.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.