Saturday, September 27, 2008

Sandy Creek Covered Bridge


This photo was taken of my Dad, me and Jane in front of the Sandy Creek Covered Bridge. While working on genealogy and scanning maps of Jefferson County, I couldn't understand why my dad was so fond of this bridge---it was not close to the area where he grew up or where his grandparents lived. And yet, he drew and painted it several times.

Finally last weekend while going to the family reunion, I think I figured it out. It was on the road to De Soto. It is on "Old Lemay Ferry Road"---a gravel road! When my dad was young, he undoubtedly travelled between St. Louis and De Soto by train. But, when I was a child, we mostly went by car.
Thank goodness the highway department is improving the roads to De Soto, but as we were driving there I looked to the side where the old roads were and the trips all came rushing back to me. Those winding hills made me so car-sick. So, this covered bridge was probably a nice place to stop for me to stretch my legs, get some air before continuing on to De Soto.

It has now been made into a small state park. I tried to photograph some of the details about the bridge. Maybe you can double click on the photos and read it.
Or you can Click here for more information.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.