Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Squash--my Garden



Every year, I'm successful with ONE plant variety. Last year about all I got was Pumpkin leaves---no pumpkins, just vines that engulfed everything. I had one year when I had so much lettuce, I put it in a wagon and the kids went door-to-door handing out lettuce. I haven't had to plant cherry tomatoes in about 20 years---I don't have as much as I used to get, but I'm still getting them.

This year, my dominant plant was yellow squash. I had all of these seeds in the bottom of a coffee can. I thought some were zucchini, some pumpkin, but no, they were all yellow squash! For more information on squash, click here. (My daughter thinks I randomly include links to educate her. . .)

My poor husband never knows when yellow squash will appear---he should know, by now, that it will get tossed into almost anything we eat.

Of course it makes it in all sorts of vegetable side dishes.

I mentioned in a post last month that I love a lot of color---it adds a certain splash of yellow to all sorts of things.

Even dinners that are ready made from Trader Joe's, will get a healthy addition of yellow squash.
I think Dave was pretty surprised to see it in chili last night. Hey, if Rachel can put corn in chili, I can put yellow squash.
I think he's a little concerned that I'm going to get REALLY creative and try to make Yellow Squash bread (using a Zucchini Bread recipe). But, so far, I'm able to keep it picked when it is still small (yellow doesn't hide as well as green zucchini does)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great stories of our time

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.