Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Smocked Dresses




















I love smocked dresses on little girls. Here I am in two dresses that my grandmother made (Jane is the little one also with a smocked dress). I'm not sure which grandmother made them (Vennie made the dresses, but Vivian or Vennie could have done the smocking).

Mother did tell me how they were made. She (my smocking grandmother) could only use dotted or plaid dresses because she used the dots or lines to make the pattern. I'm sure today the pattern is made using some sort of washable ink, but this is how my dresses were made.

Yes, my daughters wore and granddaughter wears smocked dresses. Here is Libby wearing her new smocked dress. See the link below to see a photo of Rachel in a smocked dress and series of canvases with smocked dresses that Rachel has cREaTed.
Click here.

cREaTe {by RET}: Little Smocked Dress

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.