Thursday, September 18, 2008

Museum of Transportation


The first time I went to the Museum was probably in the 1950’s. My dad had some massive books on locomotive maintenance that he wanted to donate to the museum. The museum was in the same location it is today on Barrett Station Road. Most of the trains were "housed" in a railroad tunnel on the property, but some were out in the open in various stages of rust and repair. There was one building on the property and I believe the "library" was actually some storage in a cave. Click here for more information on the history of the museum.

My great-grandfather Henry Maupin had been the foreman of the roundhouse for the Missouri Pacific Railroad in DeSoto, MO. My grandfather Roy Long had been a boilermaker for the railroad in DeSoto and St. Louis. The books had originally belonged to them---we’d only use them to dry flowers. They have a building called the library, now---I should see if the books are still there.

Rebecca and I went to the museum today so Roman could “ride the train”.


The engineer told us the rains from Ike had flooded the area so repairs were still being made on the track.

Note the fence and flood debris above beside the track.


We had a beautiful day, hardly any one was there---they said the Fall is the best time to come. Roman had a great day---we went around the loop twice. A "bonus" was when we heard a real train go by---we were in the train shed, so couldn't see it, but Roman's eyes brightened hearing that chug-a-chug. That sound still makes my heart beat rapidly, too!

2 comments:

Leah Warren said...

wish we could have come, soon enough we'll go for a visit...

hear.t. and hue said...

what a darling smile on romeo!

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.