Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Twins Separated at Birth?

Since her nomination as Vice President, I’ve researched information on Sarah Palin and discovered some amazing similarities we have.
  • We both look like librarians with glasses---notice we even have similar hair styles (I’m the older twin, Sarah is such a copy-cat).
  • We both attended 6 different colleges (she for her B.S., me for Master’s plus 60 hours).
  • We both met our husbands when we were in high school.
  • We both have three beautiful daughters, but mine have Biblical names while hers have “Hollywood” names.
  • We were both hockey moms (OK, I was a hockey cheerleader mom, but I went to a lot of games).
  • We both were guards in basketball (Her nick-name was “Barracuda”, mine was “Shorty”—my team did not win a state championship).
  • We have both visited German air bases and a Mid-Eastern country (I’m the more adventurous twin having had a passport since 1967).
  • We were both PTA Moms when our children were in elementary school (But, I ran a book fair to benefit the library---I don’t think Sarah is that supportive of libraries).
  • She will soon be a grandmother; I’m already one (see “grandchildren” labels to the right)
  • We are both married to hunters (OK, Dave hasn’t hunted since I cooked one of his rabbits).
We both have gone fishing. . .I know my photo is fuzzy, but trust me, my fish was MUCH larger.
  • She was commander-in-chief of Alaskan National Guard; I’ve been commander-in-chief of middle school classrooms. I know, as any parent/teacher of a middle schooler will tell you, there’s no comparison. ☺
  • We are both against pork barrel spending, but I may have been tempted to give the money back for a bridge project I thought was wrong.
  • We have both talked about selling things on E-bay, but neither of us has sold anything, yet.
  • I agree that building a sports’ complex is sexier than sewage treatment plants.
  • I could probably increase spending by 33% in our city if I were mayor.
  • I could probably leave my city saddled with 22 million in debt. . .maybe more---my city is a lot larger than Wasilla.
  • Although I’ve never fired anyone, if I were governor, I’d be tempted to fire all of the staff and hire my friends, too. Actually, I did fire my house-cleaning service and hired a friend who needed work.
We are so similar excepting, I’m not a Republican running on a platform of fiscal conservatism and she is. Hmm, I always thought it was “The Liberals” who spend money “liberally.”

3 comments:

Leah Warren said...

I know it was meant to be tongue and cheek but you sure do have a lot in common : ) Thanks for the hockey shout out!

hear.t. and hue said...

i think i'll give you a new nickname in honor of your twin!

JACKIE BARRACUDA ... reebs & leah, are you in?

a lot more fun than "shorty". come on - if "reebs" has stuck, you know this will catch on like wildfire.

hear.t. and hue said...

scratch that...

JACK-A-CUDA has a much better ring to it.

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.