Friday, September 26, 2008

Dolls


My mother said I was never a doll lover as a child. Somehow my doll genes kicked in when I was a young adult. The large Raggedy Ann on the left was my first doll as an adult---a friend of my mom's made it. I loved it and then went on to add other cloth body dolls to the collection (most from garage sales)
With three daughters, there were only so many Barbies I wanted to invest in, so I started doll collections for them which mirrored my interests of books and character dolls. We even put together a display of books and dolls at their school library.

My mother had a good friend, Sharon Bishop, who made the most wonderful dolls. These were all purchased by my mother for her collection and mine. The two in the center are topsy-turvy dolls. The white teddy bear on the left was made from one of mother's bedspreads.
The two smaller dolls both have "Beauty is only Skin-deep" on their aprons and they have freckles on their noses. If you know me, you'll know why I like dolls with freckles.
These are what remains of my Holly Hobbie collection. I like patchwork quilts, Little House on the Prairie---so I enjoy collecting these dolls, too. I even went so far as to purchase one in porcelain. I like the "rag", cloth body dolls because children can play with them and I don't have to worry that something will happen to one of my dolls. Although my daughters think some of my male dolls are a little freaky, their kids don't seem to mind. And, with 4 grandsons, I'm glad I had the foresight to collect some boy dolls.

2 comments:

Leah Warren said...

Do you think it may have something to do with have all girls?

hear.t. and hue said...

ummmm your 4 grandsons not "seeming to mind" & "not giving them the time of day" are 2 totally different things. :)

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.