Thursday, November 17, 2011

Cherbourg

 Cherbourg, in Normandy, was the only ship excursion we went on:  Panoramic Cherbourg.
 We drove along the coast where we saw a sea wall made of vertical stones. . .
 ships in the harbor. . .
 and sleepy little villages.
 Our destination was Chateau des Ravalet.  Do you see the "ghost of Ravalet"?  I confess, this was taken out a bus window. . . that's me.
We didn't really go inside since the gardens are the focal point.
But if you want to know more about the history of the chalet, click here.



I loved the autumn colors mixed with tropical plants in such a beautiful setting.

 After a walk through town (this is one of the places a person could walk to town from the ship, but there was a shuttle for $9), we hopped on the bus to go back to the ship.
 Cherbourg was the last place the Titanic was before it headed across the Atlantic---that is our ship in the background.
 Although we walked right onto the ship, by the time we got to our room, a line had formed. . .
But, we just sat on our balcony enjoying the view.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.