Friday, November 18, 2011

Spain: Gijon and La Coruna

 We woke up to a sunny day in Spain and a sight my brother would have thoroughly enjoyed---coal!
 We were supposed to go to Vigo, Spain but a storm there sent us to Gijon, Spain.  The merchants/ship provided a free shuttle into town.  Dave and I got on the shuttle and just rode it around. :-)


Since our bus driver spoke no English, we didn't exactly get a "guided" tour of the city, but it got us away from the wharves and onto dry land. After a brief over night trip, we were in La Coruna, Spain.
It is one of the wonderful ports where the ship docks downtown.  Everyone loved this port over Vigo, Spain.  But, actually it was our Azores replacement since the weather was too stormy there, too.
 Just past the orange life boats is a large building to the right---that was the entry to downtown.
 We stayed on the ship and enjoyed our beautiful balcony view. We were only in this port a few hours and there weren't many excursions.  In retrospect, I should have put Dave in the wheel chair and explored a bit.


 But, I really enjoyed all of the views from the ship---there wasn't one of shipping containers or coal!
In the background is the last land we would see for 8 days!

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.