Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Grosvener Square

 I strolled to Grosvener Square which was near our hotel.  This area has a very American presence going back to the John Adams in the 1700's according to Wikipedia.  (Click here)  The garden above was a tribute to the victims of Sept. 11, 2001

 But, in this same small park were statues of several American presidents:
 Ronald Reagan and, Franklin Roosevelt.

 There was also a tribute to the downfall of the Berlin Wall with a piece of the wall from East Berlin.







 One entire end of the square is the American Embassy which will move to another part of London.  It had to be a difficult decision to move from this area so full of American presence.  Even on streets nearby I saw plaques and buildings with American connections.



This is a beautiful area of London---I thoroughly enjoyed strolling through it.


No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.