Thursday, November 17, 2011

Bay of Biscay---First Day at Sea

 Our first day at sea was between France and Spain.  One of the experienced cruisers said, "Bay of Biscay is always rough." Wikipedia agrees, "Parts of the continental shelf extend far into the bay, resulting in fairly shallow water in many areas and thus cause the rough seas for which the region is known. The Bay of Biscay is home to some of the Atlantic Ocean's fiercest weather. Large storms occur in the bay, especially during the winter months."
 We attended one of many lectures made through the "Smithsonian Journeys" program.  This program by Alan Dowty was on sea exploration before Columbus.  He gave about 6 programs on sea exploration including one on Captain Cook, one on Magellan, Mutiny on the Bounty, Shackelton, as well as Chinese explorations.
 The indoor pool although covered with a net still had some impressive waves!
 We finally realized we would need to get a wheel chair for Dave. (in front of the door)
 Before we set sail, about a hundred of us "met" on cruisecritic.com.  One of our first events was the slot pull.  We each put $15 in a pool, took turns at the slot machine.  At the end, we divided up "the winnings".  Well, we actually lost $2 each, but it was over $800 worth of fun and excitement. 
 I also went to the iLounge and set up a wireless account for my iPad!
Finally, we ended the day with "formal night"---the first of three and the only one where I wore heels instead of sneakers.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.