Friday, November 21, 2008

New Carpet, New Look

I'd been putting off getting new carpet because I was afraid I'd need a whole new floor to be level with the tile which would cause a problem with the sliding glass door---not to mention the expense. But, we had a very small ramp installed tying the two floors together which works great and greatly reduced the costs.

After the new carpet, we had a massive job ahead of us. Thankfully, Rachel and Libby came to our rescue. Yes, I ran out of boxes and had to use coolers and shopping bags to pack books.

When I thought of doing this with Roman, Eli, Brett or Davis, I just shuddered. Libby was the perfect grandchild to help. See, Eli, Libby is pushing swizzle sticks on the trolley, not standing on it and tearing chunks out with her teeth.

Although Libby was exactly the right grandchild, it didn't take me long to wonder if Rachel and I were a good team. At one point, we had chaos in 5 rooms. Too much ADD with the two of us! Meanwhile Libby was still hard at work cleaning out Grandma's sock drawer!
Finally, Rachel and I got all of the rooms back together---here's a change in one of the rooms.

The little cabinet sitting on the chest of drawers once had casters and was on the floor. Rachel suggested we pull the casters off and put it on the chest---it looks so nice and was made from my grandmother's sewing cabinet.

Thanks Rachel and Libby for coming to help. Thanks to Kyle, Rebecca, Jason, Leah and Todd for not bringing the boys---it was definitely a girl job. We'll be in touch when there's a job needing hammers, measuring tapes, screwdrivers, flashlights and teeth!

1 comment:

hear.t. and hue said...

just saw thist post! i need to scroll more... and apparently, you've been a blog writing fool lately! boy oh boy!

we had SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.