Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Over the River and Through the Woods

Thanksgiving, 1980's

Most of these photos are from 1987---Lake Sherwood, Mo. L-R Ron Long, Jaclyn Long Morgan, Louise Long, James Long. Below Louise Long, James Long, Grover Morgan As the song below says . . .
We had to go over the Missouri river, up and down the hills of St. Charles County and through the woods at Lake Sherwood. Note the "pineapple turkey" in front of me. Below: Rebecca Morgan and Lynn Provost---note the place cards made by the kids.
(We did make a few changes to the traditional song below---one year we slid down the hills in the snow---sideways!)

Over the River and
Through the Woods

Over the river and thru the wood,
To grandfather's house we go;
The van knows the way
To carry family,
Thru the white and drifted snow, oh!
Over the river and thru the wood,
Oh, how the wind does blow!
It stings the toes,
And bites the nose,
As over the road we go.
Jane Long Provost and Harry Provost above. LeRoy Long below.

This photo is from 1980---Leah looks about 1 year old. Note the frilly "socks" on the turkey---made by a grandchild, I'm sure. L-R Rebecca Morgan, Leah Morgan, Lynn Provost, Rachel Morgan (where is Doug in all of these photos---probably downstairs with Grandpa's trains)

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.