Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Old Carpet: I Have Stories to Tell


I can remember when the Morgans purchased me. They decided that a cream colored carpet was just what they needed to lighten up the family room. It seemed like a good idea because the "children" were teen-agers and wouldn't be as destructive. HA!
This spot is over 10 years old---it has been professionally cleaned many times and keeps coming back---that's what happens when a pitcher of orange juice spills on carpet and Mom isn't home to clean it up. Even the puppy they bought when I was still new made messes that could be cleaned up.

Several years ago, the Morgans put in a ceramic tile floor on top of the old floor. This made the transition from me to the tile a little hazardous. Lately, the strip had to be duct-taped down because the nails no longer held the strip in place. The blue mark was made by Leah a few months ago when Eli's applesauce was leaking in her dumped backpack.

Lately, Mom has been pretty destructive. First, she ground in a chocolate chip.
Then, Mom and Dad had a little "routine" worthy of any slap-stick comedy. Let's just say it involved spilled coffee and Mom falling over backwards in her rocker---of course SHE wasn't hurt---just me with another stain!
Since Dad has retired, he's spent a lot of time in recliners in this spot. He hasn't quite worn a spot in the carpet, but I'm definitely feeling worn out!
OMG---I feel I fell so. . . .dirty!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

so funny... you forgot the most important story... the carpet getting installed while we were on vacation and when we got back we didn't have anything for dinner, so we had carry-out Mc Donalds. Afterwards we went to the grocery store and when we returned Griffin had snuck into the trash and dragged out the McDonalds bags - half-squeezed ketchup packets and all! That started that carpet's demise only days after it being installed!

hear.t. and hue said...

that is disgusting.

i don't think STAINS is a good topic of discussion or good blog material. i'm afraid i might have to "flag" you for inappropriate blog content.

i'm grossed out... and need a shower.

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.