Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Season of Jimmukka



Most of you probably thought this was a season-less time of year. But, no, it's time for JIMMUKA---my brother's birthday!

Jim, Jaclyn, Jane 1963-64
My brother was deeply scarred by his childhood---he was the only boy, quite a bit younger than his sisters, born in the middle of January and his first car which my dad made him buy was a Vega---enough said.
L-R back row: Jaclyn and Bob Delaney,Jr; 2nd row Kathy Delaney, Jane, Michael Delaney; 3rd row Jim; late 1950's
My sister said in an e-mail, "I don' t remember it being this historic event. Since his birthday was in January, it was always cold and snowy. Celebration had to be with the neighborhood kids because the weather was so crappy nobody else would come. I think he is just making up for shallow birthday celebrations as a child. He was so deprived." And who was it that had to take off and put on dozens of his friends' boots at his birthday parties!?

As a result, he thinks he needs to celebrate his birthday for days (weeks?). My sister-in-law named it Jimmukka when his celebration was a week long, but now he's expanded to weeks of festivities.
Jim with Grandparent--Vennie and Wes Wicker; mid 1960's
When my sister asked what he was doing for his birthday, Jim responded: "Actually it kicks off this weekend with Izzo family....soon after followed by the Goose Dinner with 2 other lucky couples....then it is off to Cozumel for Scuba Diving....then back for the Duck Dinner with two other lucky couples....then off to British Columbia to ski with Pete Ford for a couple of days...the planned events start to get fuzzy in Mid March..but it does usually last at 60 days."

His wife adds: "Actually, Jane, he left out a few other activities. On his actual birthday he will be at the Mystic Aquarium with 300 of his closest colleagues enjoying a wonderful corporate event (of course, no spouses are invited to this one)! Then on Friday several of his closest friends are taking him out to dinner. On the 24th yet another get-together with friends--- it just goes on and on. All I would like to know is how did this tradition got started in the Long Family since I usually have to cook for a houseful of people on my birthday!!Happy Birthday JIMMY!!!"

Any ideas on how the rest of us could celebrate Jimmukka since we are too far away to share in all of the activities? Maybe a game of "Duck, duck, goose"?

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.