Thursday, January 8, 2009

Holiday Rollercoaster---the downs


I can remember as a child, we never had a holiday without someone getting hurt. There were 5 of us cousins born within 3 years (Bob, me, Steve, Michael, Jane). I re-called my mom explaining some of the injuries years later. As I have mentioned before, Bob, Steve and I were born within 8 weeks. I was by far smaller than they were (see photo above--I'm in curls, Steve has the bandage-- and click here). We always played "Chase" round and round our grandparents' flat. I would run under the table and they'd come running after me, but being taller they would hit their heads! Davis did the same thing with Eli and I congratulated him on getting taller!

Well, we out-did ourselves this holiday with minor calamities. In no particular order:
We developed a leak in the basement---we thought it was the dishwasher, but it turned out to be one (or more) of the toilets.
Davis came down from nap one day to tell us, "Brett threw up."
I don't normally mind rainy days, but the rain on frozen ground created a backed-up sewer.
It's where the kids had their fort built, so there was no loss, just a lot of laundry from the sheets and blankets and cleaning the carpet.
Poor Eli--he got a bloody nose colliding with Davis, and he got so sick one night we had to take him to the ER---high fever, wheezing---RSV (a respiratory infection).
There were mostly good times, though, so let's begin the uphill climb with a happy photo of Grandpa with Eli, Libby and Davis!

1 comment:

hear.t. and hue said...

fun fun fun! looking forward to christmas 2009!

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.