Sunday, January 25, 2009

Trip to Shiloh. . .UMC, that is


We got this lovely invitation to Mom's (Louise Long) church on Jan. 25. I hesitated to call because I'd been sick and the weather is always iffy, this time of year.

But, the weather forecast was "snow flurries" "13% chance of precipitation" so I headed out at 9 AM to get gas. As I was driving along I-64, I thought OK, not too bad, but when I headed on to I-70 and my ABS light was going off, I thought, "wonder what the country road to Shiloh will be like?" So, I got off the next exit to see what the secondary roads were like.
Dang! I think I'd better head back home---my wheels were spinning heading back up the ramp.
By the time I got back to Chesterfield Valley, it was not a pretty sight.
Even Clayton and Schoettler roads were covered---"snow flurries" my A$$. I called the pastor, told him I wouldn't be there and please send out some bulletins. I'll try to get back out there later to take photos, but it wasn't going to happen today.

3 comments:

Leah Warren said...

Sometimes I hear it helps if you don't talk on your cell phone, put on makeup or TAKE PICTURES while youre driving.

Jaclyn Morgan said...

Uh, can't you tell one was at a stop light? Ok, they other 10-15 were a bit riskier, but I wasn't going very fast either. I didn't want your dad and Jim to call me a "wuss."

hear.t. and hue said...

i also hear it's sort of frowned upon to use the word A$$ & pastor in neighboring sentences. :) ha ha

SORRY you didn't make it!!!!!!!!! :( at least you can say [& show in pictures] that you tried. and it's good to know the baptismal font & banners will always be there. look forward to seeing them.

i did mail the church portrait to shiloh last wednesday so they should've gotten it. i haven't checked the delivery confirmation, but i can only assume. i wrote a card, too telling them why i painted it for her & thanking them for being there for grandma & grandpa over the years. i wrote about the time grandma told me they heard chatter outside [i believe she thought they were getting T.P.'ed] & it was their church youth group raking their leaves for them.

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.