Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My 2009 Resolutions


(drum roll) My resolutions, this year, are not about my weight or health so much as being green and saving money.

-Shop more at Aldis. I have to be careful here because so much is foreign made. But, I can not believe how much cheaper they are than my local supermarket.

-Gift cards and $$$. Use the ones I have, give them out for gifts. I started this last year, but it wasn’t a resolution. Rather than give a talking thermometer that no one who can see really needs, we’ll give token gifts (under $5) for grandchildren but $$ and gift cards for all, so people can buy what they need or want rather than getting something that will go in the next garage sale.

-Buy used, borrow it, sell it. Go to Goodwill, garage sales, the library at least once a month. Have a Garage Sale to sell what I don’t need.

-Use it up until May. This is a tough one. I tend to “stock up”---part of my parents’ Depression era thinking, but it’s also something I started when we lived in Pittsburgh living through inflation and far from a supermarket.

So, instead of buying my favorite butter-blend, we need to eat the stick butter left over from Christmas. Instead of eating my oatmeal, eat up the cereal left over from Christmas. Instead of buying bisquits, eat the rolls in my freezer.

I won’t be buying any greeting cards---I’ll use my stock pile or make my own---I have plenty of scrapbook paper and stickers!
January ---magazines thrown out last week
-Set up a schedule for cleaning out. This will help me get ready for a garage sale and clean out paper clutter.
January—get rid of magazines
February---clean out 1st floor cabinets
March---clean out drawers
April---clean out the garage
May---clean out closets and clothes
June---clean out a basement storage area
July---clean out file cabinets
August---clean out books
September---clean out bathrooms and medicines
October---“help” Dave with his desk area
November---clean up garden and yard
December---cull Christmas ornaments and decorations.

1 comment:

hear.t. and hue said...

sounds great! i have been purging like it's my job. [ it's felt awesome, too. we just had the yard sale which i'm finding i LOVE the idea of it more & more. i love the idea of someone else taking possession of things you don't want/need any more. "use it or lose it". :) to me it's not about the $ we make from it (although it doesn't hurt), it's about somebody else WANTING/NEEDING what you don't! that's a great feeling! [and hopefully they're not just hoarders or else that'll make me sad that i'm contributing to that... which based on a couple characters that came to our yard sale, i suspect a few are just hoarders...]

anyway, everything that didn't sell we loaded up & took it all to goodwill. i recycle everything i possibly can but i've even started collecting paper in a special bag that we put in the paper dumpsters at school. i feel good about the fact that the kids draw on the back of paper that's been used already (round 1 of recycling) & then i recycle it instead of throwing it away (round 2).

i hear you about using what you have (supplies to make cards, dry/can goods...). i'm trying to do the same. last month i took all our old canned goods that had pull tabs & a box of crackers and gave them to kyle who hands them out to the homeless people he passes downtown on his way to the airport!

i love that being "green", repurposing, craigslist, garage sales, etc. is now "TRENDY". it's really helped us cheapskates look "cool". :D ha!

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.