Thursday, January 15, 2009

Princess Leia



When my daughter Leah was in high school, her friend Julie (?) gave her the life-size card board cut-out of Princess Leia from Star Wars. I had a hard time finding a place for her because every time I saw her out of the corner of my eye, my heart skipped a beat seeing that gun pointed at me. When Leah's high school German class came over for a dinner, I couldn't have the Princess standing there with a gun on everyone. So, I put clothes on her (that's a German hat on her head) and taped a beer stein over the gun.

That began a tradition of dressing "The Princess" in appropriate clothes.
For some reason, I started taking photos of "The Princess". Above she is ready for Parkway West Swim Team (at the same time my daughter was on the team)
Above she was ready for Easter and below was for St. Patrick's Day (OK she's more Scottish, OK--Scotch-Irish)
Everyone agreed that below was one of her freakiest outfits---she's dressed as Princess Leia for Halloween in a costume I bought at a garage sale.
As my daughters became older, she started reflecting the significant stages of their lives:

That's actually my wedding dress she's wearing above and you might have noticed she now has a companion. One of my neighbors had this Pepsi Cola Display (R2D2) that she was throwing out---she gave it to me and R2D2 was added to our collection (he has actually been to more parties than "The Princess" because he can hold cold beverages)
When our daughter Leah won the Chili Contest at her school, she joined "The Princess" for a photo.
And, when my daughter Rachel was pregnant, so was "The Princess". R2D2 was not much more than a "toy box"----foreshadowing.

Now, we have 5 grandchildren---the Princess and R2D2 are in their playroom.

Despite several baskeball hoops, the littles ones enjoy using poor R2D2 to catch balls--or worse.. . to ride around in!

3 comments:

Leah Warren said...

I still can't believe that this is real. You are so random MOM! I def. get it honestly!

hear.t. and hue said...

i forgot about when the gun used to scare the bejeezus out of you! :) and it's hard to remember a time when there wasn't her sidekick R2D2!

Leah Morgan Korbel said...

I could have used a princess too!

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.