Saturday, January 10, 2009

Post-Christmas Caroling

We had beautiful weather while we had our Christmas visitors and took nightly walks. Brett and Davis love the Christmas lights in the neighborhood---using flashlights was a bonus. The first night, Brett, Davis and I just walked around. The second night, we added Roman and some singing, but we didn't ring doorbells. Roman had had a hard time getting over Halloween, so I didn't want him to think it was Trick or Treat time again. The third night, we included all of the grandchildren, several parents, sang and rang doorbells. (Roman only walked into one house and didn't ask for candy at anyone's house!)
The only song most of the kids knew was "Jingle Bells", so I added my grandfather's (Roy Long) bells. When a neighbor came out, the kids wished them a Merry Christmas. I said, "What else?" I thought they'd say "Happy New Year!", but Brett said (each time), "I lost a tooth."The kids complimented each house on their Christmas lights (with no prompting). One of my neighbors said it made all of the work worthwhile to hear them say, "I like your lights." But, when Roman went up to hug Santa, my neighbor said he got teary eyes.
Meanwhile, Rachel was "back at the ranch" fixing co-co and getting the treats set out. We had frosting for cookies and M & M's to decorate with.


I'm hoping this becomes a Morgan Family Tradition (weather permitting)! And yes, Davis did get in a few renditions of "Jingle Bells, Batman smells, Robin laid an egg. . ."

1 comment:

hear.t. and hue said...

Brett & his tooth. He lost it in JUNE. His 1st & only so far. But it's still his ICEBREAKER. Everyone hears about it. :)

Cute pics, mom!

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.