Sunday, January 11, 2009

Holiday Excursions


We had beautiful weather for most of our Holiday week. The kids went to two playgrounds----Longview Park and Vlasis Park; they went to the zoo. They even had a chance to get some indoor swimming in. (Click here) But, the weather did turn bitter cold and we needed an indoor activity.

Faust Park was calling our name. It has two activities that I thought would be perfect for our crew. Our first stop was The Butterfly House. It was so warm inside, that our cameras fogged up. It's a wonderful place to go on a cold, winter day---we felt like we were in a tropical paradise!

It got so warm that the kids started shedding clothes and getting sweaty!
Davis was interested in the butterflies emerging from their cocoons.

Libby enjoyed some of the lobby exhibits. The bottom one was actually filled with huge cockroaches---the kids could crawl into a bubble that had them surrounded by roaches. After a quick trip to the gift shop (no one wanted to try their insect treats to eat), we went to another building at Faust Park--the carousel!
Rachel, Libby and Davis decide where they want to be.
Brett chose one of the horses. Rachel held Libby on one of the horses. Todd, Eli and Davis chose the sled (one of my favorites when I was a child) This carousel is the same one I rode as a child---from the Highlands Amusement Park in St. Louis. The Highlands burned down in the early 1960's, but someone saved and restored the carousel. For more information click here.
It wasn't really going that fast, but Davis does look like he's enjoying it!

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.