Sunday, January 25, 2009

Mediterranean Cruise: Rome


July 11, 2008, we left on the trip I'd dreamed of for years---a Mediterranean Cruise. We met my brother Jim and his wife Debbie in New York City Kennedy Airport and left for Rome around 4:00 PM. We arrived in Rome at 7:00 AM where Marco with Romecab met us for a tour of Rome.

We saw the Colosseum, Pantheon, Vatican, Castell, Trevi Fountain (abover) Circus Maximus with Marco getting us as close as possible so Dave didn't have to navigate the uneven walking surface too much. He was an excellent guide and I highly recommend them (Debbie found them on the internet). We arrived at our hotel---Cavalieri Hilton around 12:15. It was a beautiful hotel eventhough the restaurant was a little pricey (my club sandwich at noon was 28 Euros or $42).

The next morning we ate breakfast poolside. Jim opted for the buffet (38 Euro or $60). I walked around the park-like grounds and discovered all of the young "American" couples with young children were with the National Hockey League Players Association.

Marco of Romecab drove us to the cruiseship---Royal Caribbean's Navigator of the Seas. As I was exploring (before we set sail), I got on an elevator and heard, "Jackie Morgan, what are you doing here." It was Diane Bear a teacher in Francis Howell School District along with 4 other couples from St. Charles, Missouri.

After lunch and dinner on the ship, we went to the Welcome Show where we learned that there were 3000 on bloard, 600 children, 1300 Americans, 54 countries and 2/3 were English-speaking. (We did meet Welsh, English, South Africans, Australians, Canadians)

Our room was 9338---Jim and Deb's was 9346---we could see each other off our balconies!

1 comment:

Leah Warren said...

I didn't know you saw someone from Francis Howell there! That always happens to you!

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.