Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Dave's trip to Japan



In the 1980's and 1990's, Dave did quite a bit of travelling (the above calendar says he travelled 66 days in 1983). The "downside" was missing the girls' Suzuki violin concerts (3 daughters--2 years of violin concerts--he missed ALL of them---hmmm). The upside was he got to go to many interesting places, brought us back souvenirs, and racked up a lot of frequent flyer miles which allowed us to visit interesting places too.

He even had special business cards printed up. He sent us beautiful post cards and one letter.

I also received a beautiful Satsuma vase and a saki set.

The girls received little kimonos, adorable dolls and these little trinkets below (note the penny to the right to show how tiny these little figures are:

1 comment:

Mizzou81 said...

I have a print that Dave brought me back...of a trout like fish.....my absolute favorite ...it hangs proudly in the Princess Room lou

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.