Sunday, February 22, 2009

Roman AKA Dash

Eli, Roman and Grandpa, Feb. 2009
Our Grandson Roman (pictured above helping Grandpa with some extra blowing power) is almost Superhuman in speed and strength. He reminds us of Dash on the Incredibles which is funny because our grandson Brett used to call Roman's mother "Elastigirl", Dash's mother. In the photo below, Elastigirl AKA Rebecca is in red coat; Dash AKA Roman is confined to the stroller.
Roman, Leah, Eli, Rebecca, Feb. 2009
Click here for an Incredibles Family portrait, (sorry, I don't want to upload the photo---Disney people are "Incredible" at suing for their images) Here's a video of Dash.

While we were at the zoo, Roman did really well if you don't count throwing his half-eaten banana in the bear pit---hey, it was feeding time anyway, but we did tell a zookeeper. As I mentioned in the previous post, he did, however, manage to climb in with the horses at Longview Park. Rebecca really could have used those Elastigirl powers to get Roman out of the paddock: an Elastigirl grab would have been far better than "trotting" through the muck.

But, even at our house, he showed his superhuman speed. Before I could blink, he had every doll in the house in the Family Room and covered them with a towel (OK, he missed a few in a box 7' high on a shelf---he doesn't have X-ray vision or flying powers, yet.)

Another time, I noticed Roman was trying to put batteries into a Fisher-Price train. I didn't think batteries and a 2 year-old were such a good idea. So, I told him, "No, Roman---let's not play with the batteries."
So, I looked up again, and he'd "dashed" into the kitchen and now had a screwdriver! "No, Roman, let's not play with the screwdriver."
So, he put it down and came back with a Sharpie! (note the batteries and screwdriver are on the box---he does listen!) "No, Roman, let's not play with a Sharpie!" OK, a little squiggle under the train won't hurt it.
Finally, he had a pencil which I'm sure some Grandmas would have also said, "No!", but we pick our battles. Notice the determination and focus in this child! I can't tell you how many students I've had in middle school who haven't had the determination and focus of this two-year old!

Now, you may think Grandma needs kiddy locks, but I can assure you that this child is not only fast, but he is strong and smart---he's never seen a kiddy lock that he can't crack with either strength or wits. All of this strength, speed and intelligence will someday be an asset, but in a two-year old. . .

We love you Roman---you make life so . . . .interesting and INCREDIBLE! Now, if your mom just had some of that Elastigirl grabbing ability. . .

3 comments:

hear.t. and hue said...

LAUGHING MY @$$ OFF. how were you so quick to take all these pictures? i know this had to be a series taken in about 13 seconds if i know roman.

dash is soooooooooo him. looks like him, too with that bleach blond hair. and reebs being elastigirl? uncanny.

hear.t. and hue said...

p.s. i'll have to do my OWN dash post on my blog. i have one, too, complete with pictures that i've been meaning to do!

Rebecca said...

I was going to do a Dash post, too!

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.