Sunday, February 1, 2009

New Highway 40 (AKA I-64)

Imagine the main road through town being closed for 2 years! Click here for the details (go to "Project Overview". We only live a few miles from U.S. 40 (AKA I-64) so this is our main route anywhere: downtown, East out of town, the stadiums, theaters, Forest Park, Leah and Todd's house. Beginning Jan. 2008, 5 miles were closed, then, in December that section opened and another 5 miles were closed.(Click on the map above to enlarge it) I feel sorry for people from out of town thinking their GPS system is going to get them through town. The locals have done pretty well taking alternate routes. It has NOT been grid-lock as predicted.

Today, Dave and I went on the new highway for the first time. Above is where the highway was closed last year at Ballas Road.
I'm sorry I didn't wait until we went under the new overpass here---one of the things I loved was the Art Deco font that was used on that 1930's era bridge. It's been replaced with a very colorful sign. The columns on the right will soon have noise-controlling walls. It's a shame because this section used to be a beautiful drive---all wooded because it went through Ladue---St. Louis county's wealthiest neighborhood.
Above is also through Ladue---ahead is the intersection which necessitated the shut down of the highway---rebuilding the intersection of Clayton Rd. and Warson Rd under the highway which is elevated with a creek that floods nearby.
Above we're approaching the "end of the road."
This is another intersection which necessitated the shut-down of the highway---170, Brentwood Blvd., Eager Rd., Hanley Rd. and the highway. It's obviously under construction. Unfortunately, this is also where the Galleria is and the main exit to our county seat---Clayton. (Click on the map below to enlarge)

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.