Wednesday, February 18, 2009

St. Louis Zoo

Even in the winter, the St. Louis Zoo is a wonderful place to visit and learn. In the photo above, Rebecca, Roman, Leah and Eli are greeting the rhinos. We thought it was a coincidence that when we sang out, "Ha-ll-oo", a rhino appeared. We did it 3 or 4 times and each time a rhino would trot out until we saw some zookeepers who told us, they were being trained to come out when called!
Our next visit was at the hippo tank. At first we didn't understand why there was straw floating around and fish in with the hippos.

But (get it. . . butt), we later found out what the connection was with even a little display:
The elephants were next---3 or 4 were in an enclosed area.

We also visited the penguins and puffins which was an indoor and outdoor exhibit.
The boys really enjoyed the carousel! Each of the animals was different and if you looked up high, they were each identified---the animals not the boys!The boys still had one treat. Eli: "Psst, Roman, where'd your mom go?"
"I saw her headed out with the stroller. Relax Eli, we'll meet her at the end of the line."

"Meanwhile, Eli, hold on tight! Let's choo-choo through the zoo in the Lou---hey that sounds like a song!"

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.