Sunday, February 8, 2009

Another Eagle---Scout


I went to the Eagle Honor Court of a former student who overcame many challenges to achieve this honor. Several years ago when he was my student, he told me he was going to be an Eagle and would invite me to the ceremony. I promised him I'd be there. At one point in the ceremony, his 6th grade geography teacher asked that all of Kris's teachers---past and present---stand up. I made a quick count of 16 teachers were there. That speaks volumes about Kris.
We were all so proud of his achievement that we were wiping tears from our eyes. People used the same words to describe Kris---enthusiastic, trust-worthy, kind, honest, hard-working. We couldn't agree more.
Kris with his mom (above) and grandma (below)
Finally the full-regalia.
And cake! Kris, I wish you all the best---remember "Fly like an Eagle. . ."

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.