Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Happy Birthday, Rachel!

You purred like a kitten when you were born---so, sweet. We thought the name "Rachel" was appropriate because it means "lamb." Your middle name is in honor of many of your ancestors: Alice Louise Wicker Long, Macy Alice Williams Wicker, Eloise Fry Morgan, Alice Alderson Fry and Ellice Smith Morgan (I don't think I missed any---grandmothers, great-grandmothers, and great-great grandmother)
Ellice Smith Morgan, 1977

The day you were brought home from the hospital--your sister was so excited--this is the first time she saw you.
Grandma Long came to help take care of Becky while I was in the hospital--she stayed a few more days while I learned to manage two daughters.

Because you came 12 days early AND the roads had been impassable until the night we went to the hospital, I didn't have a chance to buy your dad a birthday gift. Note, there's a bow on your head.

4 comments:

Leah Warren said...

Love the bow on Rach's head. I am sure that was his best present (well until 3 years later)

hear.t. and hue said...

cute! i like the bow, too! :) thanks mama!

Karah said...

LOVE the bow on rachel's head. these are the sweetest pics!

Karah said...

oh and i love that "rachel" means "lamb." so fitting for such a sweet, kind hearted gal:)

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.