Monday, April 6, 2009

Easter, 1950

I am estimating that this is Easter 1950 judging by Jane's size. Above is my mother Louise Wicker Long, my little sister Jane and myself outside our flat on Arsenal. I think a bird crash-landed on my mother's hat!
Above are Jane and I with our baskets.

And, here we are with our grandparents---Wes and Vennie Wicker. We are all probably on our way to church.
Notice what a good big sister I am!
I think my sister had to go down for a nap since she isn't in the photos with our cousins: Stephen Adams, Bob Delaney and Michael Delaney.
Here we are again. I love this photo---Michael and I are looking at Steve like he just said something inappropriate. Bob, on the other hand, seems amused that Steve is about to get in trouble. ..as usual.
Stephen Adams, Jaclyn Long Morgan and Bob Delaney
In front of our grandparents' house on Flad.
Our expressions are perfect for our personalities: Steve is thinking of doing something "bad"; I am happy to be with my cousins; Bob (being the oldest by a month or two) is acting all mature. I still miss holidays with all of my cousins and think of them when I have all of my grandchildren running through the house just enjoying being with their cousins.

3 comments:

DaveM said...

Jaci, cute pictures. Your guess of the 1950 year for the first picture is probably right. The car in the background is a 1950 Chevrolet. / Dave

Anonymous said...

I love these pictures. I so loved Grandma and Grandpa. I am certain Grandma had her hand in making our dresses and coats.
Some of my most cherished memories are with my cousins. I think it is a Long tradition to stay close to them. Thanks to you for keeping the connection with your blog.
I am really glad that we kept our kids close too.

Leah Warren said...

that last picture of you looks like BECKY!! I never thought I would see that!

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.