Thursday, April 30, 2009

Billboards along I-44 in Missouri, Part One

On our way down I-44 from St. Louis to Joplin, MO, I decided to photograph the billboards along the highway. I think billboards tell a lot about the community. So, what do these billboards say about that corridor?
I have to say at this point that several years ago I voted to ban billboards along the highways---I really feel they detract from some beautiful scenery. So, this is actually my attempt to make some sense out of them---letting them make a statement about society.
In defense of the scenery---it was a rainy day.

We used to see more of the barn roof advertising when I was a child---I was a little excited to see it. It's interesting that the billboard in front is advertising Missouri, the cave state.

So far we have celebration of a bandit's life, a cave, fireworks, Mule trading post, outdoors camping and river activities, Jesus, wine, barbecue---that pretty well sums up that part of the state. Below we have billboards for ATVs, Lake of the Ozarks, Jesus, Fantastic Caverns and army surplus (around Fort Leonard Wood)

But, this is the way it should look driving through there---billboard free. Such a beautiful part of the state, but so many distractions.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.