Saturday, May 2, 2009

Billboards along I-44 in Missouri, Part Two

I-44 through Missouri can have beautiful breath-taking scenery (sorry for the rainy day), but billboards often distract from the beauty. In order to be more accepting, I decided to photograph them down the highway and contemplate what the billboards say about the communities they are posted in.


OK, we do love our barbecue, pan-fried chicken and steak in Missouri. Old Route 66 criss-crosses the interstate in various places. . . ."Pleasure Zone" needs no explanation.


This section of the highway is near the turn off for Branson---the most wholesome, family entertainment you can find. It's only logical that Precious Moments is from this area, too. Russell Stover's candy is a Kansas City institution (western part of the state) and I just think the juxtaposition of the Army Surplus/Antiques and Adult Entertainment/Grace Covenent signs is interesting.


The last batch was getting near the Oklahoma-Kansas-Arkansas border (the western edge of the state). This was the first location of the Bass Pro chain (outdoor, fishing, hunting store doesn't describe it---Click here for more information), but we also have Sky-diving and Ozark souvenirs. Concrete storm shelters and "Look to Jesus" pay tribute to that section of Missouri being in "Tornado Alley" and "The Bible Belt." Now, there are two metaphors to contemplate.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.