Monday, May 25, 2009

Fair Share

Leah joined a type of co-op that specializes in locally-made and locally-grown foods: Fair Share. She knew I'd be interested because one of my new year's resolutions is to eat more locally. I told her I'd like to share, so this week I got the bag of groceries: olive oil (from Greece. . .), green-onion cheddar cheese, mustard greens, swiss chard, mixed lettuce greens, mushrooms, trout, thyme, tomato-basil bread, eggs. What I like about this and having my own garden is my cooking gets more creative. (pictured above are the lettuce greens, swiss chard with almonds (Trader Joe's) and strawberries (Aldi's)
This is a "stir fry" recipe I've used: chicken, onions, carrots, celery, spinach with wild and brown rice. I added swiss chard and mushrooms from the co-op.
The next night, we had the trout grilled with lemon butter and swiss chard as well as the tomato-basil bread with green onion cheddar cheese (baked potato, mixed veggies, fruit bowl)
Last night, in addition to bread and fruit, we had a Trader Joe's pasta dish, chicken sausage (al fresco brand), but I added more of the mushrooms, swiss chard and spinach. (This is one of the dishes I featured last year with the yellow squash)

I did give the mustard greens to a friend---we had way too many greens including lettuce and spinach from the week before. I also gave another friend some of the mushrooms and thyme (I have a back yard with thyme). We have had the eggs and they aren't too "gamey", but the olive oil hasn't been opened---I already had a jug full, but I'm eager to try Greek olive oil---I usually have Italian.

I'm excited to be creative in the kitchen!

1 comment:

Mizzou81 said...

Dave I am not sur if you Angels or Deomns are watching over you....are you ready for the Swiss Guard to protect you from the swiss chard!! JEL

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.