Saturday, May 9, 2009

Route 66 Rest Stop


On our way to Texas the last two times, I was pretty annoyed that the rest stops near Lebanon, MO were closed. But, then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw the rest stop was almost ready to open and looked pretty cool. So, on our way home we made a stop---it had just opened May 4.
In the front was a pretty ordinary play center, but next to it was an interesting picnic pavilion made to look like an old gas station.
I walked inside with a map in the floor

Even the restrooms and vending machines carried out the theme.
Then, I walked through the doors of the "information center"

Around the walls were posters which several people were reading.
The one below was on the first cloverleaf on Watson Rd. in St. Louis.
But the best was out back. More picnic pavilions along a sidewalk made to look like a road with street lights even.

The one below with white on the roof isn't quite done---it's going to read "Meramec Caverns" :-)My favorite pavilion was below---it reminded me of my nephew's 1950's themed rehearsal dinner!

As we were leaving the rest stop, I noticed a little red sign, followed by another and another. It was an "updated" Burma Shave sign: a series of messages about driving safe---unfortunately, we were already accelerating and I didn't get a photo of them. But, it was a nice touch rather than the usual "Click it or Ticket".

2 comments:

Leah Warren said...

So cute!

- Donna said...

You almost want to make a special trip to that rest stop! Great attention to detail.

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.