Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Freshman Year at SEMO

I recently cleaned out some boxes and found my scrapbook from my Freshman year at Southeast Missouri State College. I decided to photograph some of the pages, save a few things but give it the old heave ho! (it makes me sneeze just thinking about it) Above is my first room mate Mary Beth Longhibler, my dorm assignment, my notebook that helped me get organized for college and my college placement results. I don't know what they were, but I did NOT make Honors English which was disappointing until I discovered how much more work they did.
The above includes a note from my little brother and a ribbon from a corsage from one of Jim's friends.

The above was our Orientation Schedule. I wish I had my student ID photo. After waiting in lines for hours in the sweltering steamy heat of southeast Missouri, I looked like a refugee just off the boat in the photo on my ID that I had to use for at least 3 years.
I did, indeed, need financial aide. My dad was on strike when I left for college. If I wanted to go to college, the cheapest was from me to go to S.E.Mo. We had no junior colleges, no public colleges or universities in St. Louis. Actually, I think 1963 might have been the first year of the junior colleges in St. Louis---the students met in quonset huts. But, seriously, I could have never studied in a 2 bedroom house with 5 people living in it---especially since the junior college didn't exactly have a library to study in and there were no Starbucks in our neighborhood in 1963!
The above were ripped right off my bulletin board!
In addition to going to classes, social events, we had "convocations" or public events we had to attend---things like concerts, plays and a naturalization ceremony?! Do note who was doing the Oath of Office. Before the world knew the name of "Limbaugh" as a conservative pundit, the family was known for its lawyers and judges (and, one was the drunk doctor that delivered my mother in 1920)
I've always been a schedule person!
Dormitory Fun! Lest you think I always cavorted around in a leotard, I'd probably come back from Modern Dance club.


To my daughter Rebecca who has no dorm memories knitting, I have to say that we knew at the time it was a very nerdy photo. We may have even joked that this was a photo we could send home to our parents. I'm in the blue dress, holding the ball of yarn was Pat Green and knitting was Jane Burggrabe. Although we did wear skirts to classes, we do look a little more dressed up than usual, so this may have been before or after a party.

2 comments:

hear.t. and hue said...

sooo the last photo ... "after a party", is that considered "drunk-knitting"? i can imagine those girls had to go back & do a few of those stitches in the morning. :) hee hee

Mizzou81 said...

Jaci...showing a bit of leg? I think Jane attneding opening day of Slow Valley Community College- JEL

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.