Friday, May 15, 2009

Heirlooms in my Garden


My garden has several items which I've "inherited" over the years. Above is a bunny which came from my mother's house. I think she thought my grandchildren would enjoy it.
The frog/toad above was a favorite of my mother's. She brought it with her when she moved from her lake home to an apartment in town and had it outside her window.
She also gave me her turtle which she had had at her lake home for the grandchildren to discover.
The irises above were from our first house in Kirkwood. I divided them and gave some to my mother before we moved away. Then, when we moved back to St. Louis, she brought them back tome. When I see them bloom, I feel a connection to my life 35 years ago.

The columbine above were from my grandfather's house in Overland. Again, when they bloom, I feel a connection to my grandfather, Roy Long.
These violets were unintentional transplants from my Aunt Norma's house. She had given me some of her day lilies and the violets came along for the ride. I'm not sure if I have any of the day lilies left but I think of Norma when I see the violets each Spring.

3 comments:

Leah Warren said...

I know Eli loves finding all the treasures!

Mizzou81 said...

The columbine above where (were)from my grandfather's house in Overland. Again, when they bloom, I feel a connection to my grandfather, Roy Long. Q

Quite dissappointed in you Jaci

Jaclyn Morgan said...

Correction has been made---something like that actually happens with EVERY post. But, I usually can find the spelling/usage error and correct it before anyone else. It doesn't matter how many times I read the post, I don't find the error until after it has been "published".

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.