Monday, May 4, 2009

Caught in the Middle

I was talking to my friend Margie the other day as we were making plans to meet at her house for dinner. I said, "Just give me your address, I'll let our GPS get us there." Then, I laughed---"well, we'll probably get out our paper maps, too." We aren't totally comfortable with the GPS so we use both.

That got me to thinking how much of our lives we are doing double. My mother's generation just had maps, our children just have GPS systems---we do both.

Mother had a land line for her telephoning; our kids only have cell phones; we have and use both.

Mother called or wrote letters to communicate to her friends and family; our children have blogs, send e-mails, text message, have Facebook; we send cards, call on the phone and have e-mail,blogs, Facebook----I draw the line at Twitter and text messaging.

Mother got her news from the television and newspaper; our children get theirs from the internet . . . you guessed it, we get our news from all of the above.

As I mentioned in my introduction, I often feel caught in the middle of generations. My daughters often laugh at e-mails from my generation with all of the animation and emoticons. It's hard to "be hip" when you're over 60. I loved the cartoon below describing retirees and Facebook.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.