Wednesday, May 27, 2009

"Old" Friends


Through Facebook, I've become re-acquainted with several high school and college friends. It's really fun catching up with someone I haven't seen in 30-40 years. We have also had several occasions this Spring to have Face-to-Face meetings with "old" friends although we've kept up with them over the years. Pictured above is Margie Boone (I'm going to use just maiden names)---I first met her in 3rd grade. We went all through school together including college and our first teaching jobs. I have many memories with her parents,too---camping trips and softball games (I didn't excell in either, but they seemed to like me anyway because I made Margie look so good, I think). Margie usually drives a convertible, but had the "company truck" on one of our visits. We had dinner with her and her husband Theron one evening and the years seemed to just melt away even as we talked about our grandchildren and our lives.

I, also, got to visit with Carol Parsons this Spring while her daughter skated at a nearby arena. Carol and I met in 6th grade, were chemistry lab partners (you have NO IDEA what a challenge it was to be my lab partner) and lived in Germany at the same time in 1966-67. I also toured parts of Europe with her and her parents during that time period. (no photo) Carol lives out of town, is still teaching, so I don't get to see her as much as I'd like to.

This is a "twofer". On the left is Jan Milosovich who is the mother of one of Rachel's friends (I've known Jan for about 20 years so she's more of a "new" friend) and on the right Carol Rittel---another friend from 4th grade on. Carol and I were in German class together for two years and played bridge throughout college with Margie and Carol Parsons, too. The four of us were also in Girl Scouts together. Carol and I continue to see each other at church---we even were present last week for Graham's baptism (he's the little guy pictured above).
Here is Carol and her son Rob who is Graham's daddy (and little Robbie's, too).

I went to a luncheon a few weeks ago with my college friend Donna Carriere (no photo) and her 3 daughters. We go to church together, too. My daughter Leah was with me---she and Donna's daughter Annie were friends in high school as were my daughter Rachel and Donna's son Ray. I've know Donna since about the first week of college. We were friends before we pledged the same sorority (along with Margie, above). She has always been one of my favorite college friends and I feel blessed to see her and Carol Rittel at church for luncheons or Bunny Breakfasts or Rummage Sales and the occasional Sunday mornings we attend.


Although Dave (above) and I went to college together, we didn't really meet until we were out of college. My Dave and I (there were 3 Daves in our group: Arleen's Dave, Jackie's Dave and Kay's Dave) were friends with Dave and Arleen when we were all singles. Dave and Arleen were the glue that kept our group of friends together with the ski trips, float trips and parties which they planned. Although they live in Florida, we enjoy their yearly visits and e-mails. It sounds like they are still planning social occasions but instead of a bunch of "swinging singles", they plan bean bag baseball and theater outings for their "retirement community."


In February, we also got to have lunch with Ed and Ruth Will (no photo) this spring. Ed has been one of my friends throughout high school and college. We were in high school drama as well as other classes. He was also a friend in our college-age church group---The Searchers. Ed and Ruth had beautiful photos to share with us of Winter in Yellowstone Park. I may not always agree with Ed on politics (OK, I may NEVER agree with him), but we have always been able to laugh at our differences of opinion and stay friends.

Finally, yesterday I went to a Stretch Class at Wellbridge and saw Drew Schumacher---also a grade school/high school friend. He looks exactly the same---red hair and all! I do enjoy living close to where I grew up with opportunities to continue seeing "old" faces.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool, Jaci! You should be on our Reunion Committee! VAD

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.