Thursday, May 21, 2009

Lowered Standards

My daughter Rebecca's house always looked like it was ready for a House Beautiful photo shoot. Shortly after Roman became a part of their lives, I noticed subtle differences in their decorating. All of the above was removed from Roman's inquistive hands within days of his arrival.

He has now been a part of their family for a year---the bathroom has a timer, a kiddy lock and wipes in addition to the decorating accessories.

The desk in the kitchen is, for the most part, empty with one drawer for Roman's things and his vacuum and broom under the desk.
The glass top coffee table has been replaced with a train table. There are no "fun" pillows or floral arrangements on the tables.

The shelves in the kitchen used to have cute accessories, but now there's a rear view mirror. . .
and Wolverine?
But, it's all worth it to have a smart little boy who loves to clean---eventhough
he sometimes still makes his mom nervous.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

you also forgot to mention in the "rear view mirror" pic that the bubbles are "up high". The "wolverine" is the one Nico tried selling last year and wrote the perm. marker "N" on it... it just makes me smile and reminds me to give better instructions to Roman.

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.