Sunday, April 5, 2009

Walking with Eli

Grandma: Hey, Eli---Let's take a walk. Where do you want to go?
Eli: Choo-Choo!
Grandma: Okey-dokey. We'll head down the street for the train tracks. Hey, Eli, isn't that the church that's going to be in the new George Clooney movie Up in the Air?

Eli: Grandma, it was so crowded a couple of weeks ago with fake snow everywhere. I tried to eat the fake snow---it was yucky!

Grandma: Hey, Eli, want to stop by this cool store?

Eli: Sure, Grandma, but let me out of this stroller so I can really explore.

Grandma: Hmmm, a 20 month old in an antique store "exploring"---maybe another time, buddy. Hey---I can see the tracks!
Eli: Grandma, go see if the choo-choo is coming.

Grandma: OK, Eli, Grandma doesn't want to disappoint you. . . Uh, I don't see anything to the east.
Grandma: Uh, I don't see anything to the west, either.
Eli: Grandma, you look so funny standing in the middle of the tracks looking both ways! Hey, take my picture, "Cheese"!
Grandma: Uh, Eli, when I take your photo half a mile away, you don't have to say "cheese." Maybe I can zoom in and crop the photo so we haven't wasted a "cheese".
Grandma: Sorry, sugar, we're going to have to head back home with no choo-choo.

Grandma: Hey, wouldn't it be cool if they made this bus turn around area into a playground for you?
Eli: What is THAT Grandma?
Grandma: That's a payphone---people used to have to put money in to use the telephone. That was back in the day before everyone had cell phones.
Eli: Grandma, you are so funny---How could you text, send photos, play music, watch movies on that---I don't even see a screen! And why does it have a silver leash?

Eli: Hey, Grandma---look at Cooper Ella---they've added outdoor seating. Let's go over there. They have lots of good things to eat and fun things for me to do.
Grandma: Sorry, buddy, we need to go home now---time for your nap.
Eli: OK, maybe next time.
Eli: (yawn) I think I can see my house. Maybe next time we can see a choo-choo.

2 comments:

hear.t. and hue said...

CUTE! loved the "silver leash". tell eli his cousins are coming very soon! not that grandma isn't fun...

Leah Warren said...

Wow...looks like Grandma should come and babysit more often. She sure gets a lot more smiles on her walks than Eli's mom! (but then again I've never told him about the phone with the silver leash)

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.