Monday, August 10, 2009

Garage Sale, Part II


As you can see by our "score sheet", our early morning customers were pretty good. Many of them were on their way to work and stopped by---our sign wasn't up so they must have seen the ad on Craig's List (Leah had the sign in her car---it didn't go up until 7:00 AM).We finally got rid of a bike that has been "for sale" for around 15 years. I didn't say we sold it. . .the fun part was getting it in a car not much bigger than my Beetle. (She heard me say I was going to put it in the trash)
Grace came up and supervised Eli for some of the sale---we gave her a deal on a Cardinal dress!
We decided to scour our houses to replenish the sale for Saturday. I discovered that a sweater holder in my closet had "secreted" two moldy-oldies. The one on the left is a sweater from 1970's and the one on the right was from the 1960's---I really need to clean my closets a bit more frequently.
I also decided that there needed to be something "eye-catching" so people at the top of the street could see where the sale was. So I put the "stop construction" order from Ballwin in the cone left from our new driveway and put them on my mailbox post. OK, not great but cheaper than getting balloons!
We cut prices. . .

We re-arranged, but the ledger tells the truth:
Saturday's heat and a tax-free holiday in the local stores, cut into our profits.
We finally gave up at 1:00 PM---it was just too hot to stay outside for a quarter every half hour. So, we started packing things up. By 2:45, the garage was clean, the van was packed for church, we'd showered, re-hydrated and rested.

Some might say it was not a "good" garage sale, but we cleaned out our houses, made a little money, enjoyed each other's company and have a lot of good stuff to donate to the St. Mark's Rummage sale. Yeah, we'll do it again.

1 comment:

Leah Morgan Korbel said...

good job. I vowed NEVER to have another garage sale after making $1.00 at one. At the next one (I didn't learn) I had to drag a HUGE tarp of books into the garage when we had a surprise downpour. I made $7.00 at that one. Really, never again. Your's looks like fun!

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.