Sunday, August 2, 2009

Purina Farms

While the Twenters were in town, Leah and Eli came over and we all went out to Gray Summit to Purina Farms. We hadn't been out there for at least 20 years. We are very fortunate in St. Louis to have so many child-friendly places that are free or almost free. Purina was a St. Louis company founded by the Danforth Family before it was acquired by Nestle' several years ago.
The first building was about dog food and how it's made---Brett demonstrates.
Then, we went to the barn which had a hay bale maze, a rope to swing from and tractors for the little tykes. Downstairs were lots of barn animals---goats, cattle, sheep, horses.
There was a petting area with the cutest piglets, a rabbit and a chicken.
Davis and Eli petting the chicken.
At 10:30 AM, there was a milking demonstration and an opportunity for children to actually milk a cow.
Next, we went to the dog and cat house---that cat house is at least 3 stories of a miniature house with furniture for the cats. The dogs are used in the dog show (actually, there's a cat show later in the afternoon).

That is the dog and cat house next to the performance arena.Eli, Davis, Libby's feet and Leah waiting for the dog show to begin.
One dog demonstrated his ability to jump for frisbees (hard to get a photo in air)
Another demonstrated his agility on a obstacle course.
But, my favorite part was watching the dogs jump into the pool. The dog above was rescued by the trainer after it had been adopted and returned 5 times to a shelter---I'm guessing it had too much energy for the average family.

2 comments:

Leah Morgan Korbel said...

I didn't realize Purina dog food was made from multicolored balls...amazing. Seriously, I want to go here!It looks fantastic.Great pictures.

Leah Warren said...

Like mother like son in the picture of us both INHALING popcorn : )

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.