Saturday, August 15, 2009

Retired 3 years Ago


Although we retired three years ago, we still have some of the flotsam and jetsam of the occasion. Dave got this huge plaque from his department that could have been a quarter of the size (it's on a dining room chair to show the size). Instead we shuffle it from pile to pile and Dave has decided to "recycle" it. I tried to think of what I could do with this other than collect dust and even thought I'd use it as a cutting board but thought that might be a little disrespectful and possibly toxic.
He also got this nice photo with well wishes from everyone he worked with.
Some were people he hadn't worked with for over 30 years like Bruno Lohmueller---it was a nice gesture that we'll probably hold on to for awhile
I also got a nice photo with signatures in primary colors from the staff at Mary Emily Bryan Middle School. Here's a little known fact---I'm still the only teacher who retired from this school.
I do like the gift from the school district, too---so symbolic and fun, too!
See, it's not attached---I can call Dave to dinner, use it to celebrate New Year's, have the only one bell handbell choir, add it to the grandchildren's band, take it Christmas Caroling, cut out biscuits or doughnuts. Good grief, I just noticed that it's beside the book For Whom the Bell Tolls---totally a coincidence---I do NOT want this rung at my funeral, nor do I want it attached to my coffin for me to ring in case I'm not dead (the source of the term "dead ringer" and "saved by the bell".

1 comment:

Leah Morgan Korbel said...

Oh cool-"dead ringer" and "saved by the bell". Didn't know those two things!

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.